Recent alumna Lauren Geleailen graduated from CSE summa cum laude, earned the New Jersey Distinguished Clinical Intern Award for her student teaching and was inducted into Kappa Delta Pi.
The English program provides a bridge between the written word and the human experience. Our students hone their ability to read situations and people, employ critical and creative thinking, and develop clear and persuasive communications skills. Flexibility in thought and perspective is in great demand in today's world, and English majors consistently are able to adapt to careers involving complex thought and implementation.
1. Students develop a close-knit learning community taught by dedicated and accomplished faculty.
2. Specializations in English studies, literary studies and writing studies.
3. The English program regularly invites top-name poets and writers to campus. Speakers have included Gwendolyn Brooks; Poet Laureate Donald Hall; and Nobel Laureate Seamus Heaney.
4. Easy access to plays, museums, and other cultural activities in New York City.
5. English faculty frequently sponsor short-term study abroad opportunities in England, France, and Italy.
"CSE is where I discovered my love of words. I never knew how much I liked to write until taking English and creative writing classes here. I really learned a lot about myself."
– Jasmine Poole, '17
Santa Maria Hall 41
Santa Maria Hall 10C
Santa Maria Hall 10B
Chairperson and Professor
Santa Maria Hall 10A